Thursday, April 06, 2006

My Dirty Little Secret

I hate to cast on. I know, how could a knitter even admit such a thing? It isn’t that I don’t like new projects, challenges and the feel of a new yarn between my fingers. That isn’t it at all. I just really have trouble keeping track of how many stitches are on my needles.

Have you ever counted CO stitches three times and each time you get a new number? This happens to me all the time. I started using marker rings to count off sections after making sure they were the correct number. But when you have 200 stitches to cast on this seems to waste time I could be knitting.

The Yarn Harlot, a knitting Goddess, IMHO, of our age, says: “I cast on the approximate number, then count them as many times as it takes to get the right number twice.

So it seems I’m not alone. But let me tell you that was little comfort when I cast on last night for a lace scarf. I was oh so proud that I had the correct number of stitches only to find the pattern was off by 10 stitches. *sigh*

Happy crafting,

Ruinwen
:)

2 comments:

Carol & Christine said...

I do that too. It get frustrating but then before ripping out what I have... I sit and wonder for a moment if something great can still come of it.

Terri said...

This is my first time here. I like your blog. I have the counting disease in spades, and have to count, recount, and then count some more. My counting disease is not limited only to the cast on. I can have "countitis" in decreasing in the round for a sock, or whatever. Nice blog, happy knitting.