Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Creating Time To Play


Cotton Drop Stitch Shawl, originally uploaded by Ruinwen.

"If we fail to nourish our souls, they wither, and without soul, life ceases to have meaning.... The creative process shrivels in the absence of continual dialogue with the soul. And creativity is what makes life worth living."

-- Marion Woodman

I didn't know what to do with my cotton/wool blend and decided on a simple drop shawl. The fabric is light and drapes beautifully. But most of all I've had fun knitting it.

Knitting is many things to me; but at the heart of it all, it is something I truly enjoy. I love seeing the colors join together in the fabric or a pattern emerge before my eyes.

Sometimes it is the simple things that give met the most joy. A smile on my child’s face, my DH excited at a new idea or knowing that today I will get to knit; all give me joy in very different ways.

But it seems to always come back to knitting. I love to knit. This love has never gone away over the years and I think at the core of my being, I am a knitter.

Last week I talked about paring down my life and finding out what is real and authentic to my personal self. I’ve decided that trying to do that in a season of growth and renewal is probably not good timing. So I will wait until Fall when it is time to let go of the seeds that went fallow even though they were planted in good strong soil. And I will continue to nurture the ideas that have good strong roots and pour my strength into them.

Aries don’t like waiting. It is one of my worst traits. I’m a go and plan and get a move on type of person. Being patient is agonizing for me, but I think this is best for now.

In the meantime I’m going to learn a lot of new things and grow as a knitter and a person…and I think that all starts with having a bit of fun and really enjoying the whole process of creating something from beautiful colors of yarn.

Happy crafting,

Ruinwen
:)

Post a Comment