Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Creating Time To Play



"If we fail to nourish our souls, they wither, and without a soul, life ceases to have meaning.... The creative process shrivels in the absence of continual dialogue with the soul. And creativity is what makes life worth living."

-- Marion Woodman

I didn't know what to do with my cotton/wool blend and decided on a simple drop shawl. The fabric is light and drapes beautifully. But most of all I've had fun knitting it.

Knitting is many things to me; but at the heart of it all, it is something I truly enjoy. I love seeing the colors join together in the fabric or a pattern emerge before my eyes.

Sometimes it is the simple things that give me the most joy. A smile on my child’s face, my DH excited at a new idea or knowing that today I will get to knit; all give me joy in very different ways.

But it seems to always come back to knitting. I love to knit. This love has never gone away over the years and I think at the core of my being, I am a knitter.

Last week I talked about paring down my life and finding out what is real and authentic to my personal self. I’ve decided that trying to do that in a season of growth and renewal is probably not good timing. So I will wait until Fall when it is time to let go of the seeds that went fallow even though they were planted in good strong soil. And I will continue to nurture the ideas that have good strong roots and pour my strength into them.

Aries don’t like waiting. It is one of my worst traits. I’m a go and plan and get a move on type of person. Being patient is agonizing for me, but I think this is best for now.

In the meantime I’m going to learn a lot of new things and grow as a knitter and a person…and I think that all starts with having a bit of fun and really enjoying the whole process of creating something from beautiful colors of yarn.

Happy crafting,

Ruinwen
:)

No comments: