Monday, April 24, 2006

Hope For The WIPs


The great thing in the world is not so much where we stand, as in what direction we are moving.
- Oliver Wendell Holmes

We can learn to be the catalysts for our own change.
- Sarah Ban Breathnach


I’ve been working on bonnets and booties as of late so there is no need to reshow the same pictures in different colors right?

On Friday a wonderful thing happened, my LYS asked me to teach a bonnet class. Everyone loves the bonnet so much that they demanded a class! I am so happy!

On Saturday I had to move the WIP bags that sit around the table and when you pile them all together they make a nice little mountain-o-projects. Why I just can’t sit and finish one thing and move to another is beyond me…but the important thing is to “know thyself.” And I know that this is how I am, so I accept it to a degree…

On Saturday night I had a dream where I sat down and organized all the WIPs into categories and set them out on a calendar and completed each one as scheduled. At the end of my dream new yarn came in and I started all over again but that was okay because it was exciting to reward myself with new yarn and projects.

I woke up pumped. Why couldn’t I just finish all the WIPs that only need a few rows, seaming, or weaving in the ends…why did I just leave them there and start something new? Well, we know the why…I’m a self-starting…never finishing Aries…but I want to see these projects done…so yesterday I finished my crochet blanket I started at last Fall Fair…it only needed one more skein and the ends woven in and I was able to move a big bag off the chair…that blanket fits a twin bed!

Then I finished the bonnet I started on Wednesday…all that needed was 2 rows, the neck finished and all those ends are woven in…that is…count ‘em…2 projects in one day! Then I cast on some booties and they are half done!

The thing is I really didn’t spend a lot of time knitting either…maybe four hours all together spread out over the day…

Why do I have all these WIPs then? Because dear readers I lack focus. My friend Sallee made me think maybe what I need is to focus on my WIPs. It seems I am now stashing projects just as easily as I stashed yarn before. I took an inventory and just like in my dream there a bunch of things that are almost done and I will work on those first and get them out of the way. Secondly, I will only use the two chairs behind the table for projects.

I know myself enough to know I will always have more than one project going on at a time but I also know that I follow my own rules. So if only two chairs can be used then no new projects can be cast on if those chairs are full. That will be my new rule…after I empty another chair. ;)

Happy crafting,

Ruinwen
:)

3 comments:

Bianca said...

LOL! I usually work on one thing at the time. With the kids working on their projects, there are four different projects floating somewhere...so one is enough for sure. Good luck finishing your works in progress though - and I am happy for you that you can go teaching!

Nana Sadie said...

Congrats on the new class! Terrific! I'm so glad I can be an inspiration for you to finish your WIPs. Now...what or who will inspire me? :)
(((hugs)))

Birdsong said...

Wow, sounds like you started out on a roll! How's it going? I have been more focused, and less nagged to start new things for the past two weeks and trying to make the most of it, but some of the WIPs have a long finish line ahead.