Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Circumstance

Change is created by those whose imaginations are bigger than their circumstances.

-- Unknown source

I often think the circumstances for a project to make it to completion is not that different from a seed growing into a flower. There has to be some alchemical formula that allows us to take matter and turn it into something else.


What keeps us knitting on one project from beginning to end while others we stash away for another day? There has to be some spark that keeps us interested and focused on completing our project.




You have seen this blanket before (and as my sister said, “Is that the same one you were working on two years ago?) and most unfortunately certainly will see again.


What makes this blanket so hard to finish? It is not the fact that it is a blanket and bigger than a normal project because I’ve finished blankets in a weekend. The stitch doesn’t bore me I like the slipping and the interweaving of color. What circumstance…what magical formula…am I missing in order to complete this blanket?


I’ve been meditating on this quandary this week because my knitting isn’t the only thing to suffer from this missing equation in my little world. My life seems balanced by the things I have to make time to do and the things I can never seem to fit in.




Last week I made two items that I was very proud of for two very dear friends on their birthdays. There seemed to be no struggle, no problem to stop me in either of these projects and they were completed faster then I had projected. One was a short row washcloth and the other Who. Both had challenges and were fun to knit. But previously I had made that washcloth and it had taken almost a week to complete and this time I finished in two days.




It boggles the mind. Now, this wasn’t a happy go lucky week with a lot of free time either. Nothing was different with the time I had to complete these projects…so what made them flow…like water through my fingers to their completion?


One thing I did note was that with Who I used double points the whole time. I actually adore dpns where many years ago I used to fear them. And that is when it hit me…I’ve grown as a knitter. I will try almost anything instead of shying away from it like I used to…that does not include steeking, that still scares the willies out of me.


But I digress. I think that maybe one of the elements of finishing a project is what you carry with you. I’m not talking your cable needle, stitch markers and life-line (though those can be very useful), I’m talking about the skills you have as a knitter. You may not be aware that if you are up to mindless knitting on a project…congrats…that’s a skill. A new knitter will look at you in awe as you knit and talk at the same time without missing a stitch.


I’ve picked many projects out of my skill-set and then set them aside because I’ve ripped too many times or I am just so frustrated that knitting is impossible. But then a year later I may go back and say, “Why did I have trouble with this?” Then again the pattern may be wrong and the skills necessary for the project seem to be rewriting and designing and new way to knit the piece. Its all in the circumstance…and each project has different pluses and minuses that add or detract to it being completed.


But in the end it is me that is the final component to a project being completed. I think from now on if I decide to give up on a project I’m going to list why on a piece of paper so that in the future I can understand my reasons and see if I have overcome them yet.


For now this blanket will travel with me. I really want to get it done. I’m not going to set it aside again.


Since this year started I’ve finished everything new I started and steadily worked on past WIPs. My meditation showed me that in each thing I create is a little of my energy just waiting for me to reconnect with it. As I finish old projects I can feel what circumstance was greater then my creativity and caused me to stop. I can see that I have grown from that moment when I gave up on a particular project and that I myself have become part of the creative equation.


Bright blessings,

Happy crafting,
Ruinwen
:)

I almost forgot…Birdsong won the Blogiversary Contest and her gift package will be winging its way to her! Congrats Birdsong! :)

4 comments:

Nana Sadie said...

I have no idea what stops me in my tracks on a knit. But once I have? It's really hard to pick it back up again. I'm glad you're making progress, maybe I can take a cue from you!!
(((Hugs)))

Geraldine said...

You've brought up some very good points to ponder. I know exactly what you mean about how some projects come together and get finished while others seem to take forever or never do get finished. Speaking of which, there's a fair isle cardigan and a lapghan calling from my knitting tote!!!

Hugs, G

Chelle said...

Yikes UFOs...don't we all have a basket full of UFOs and stories somewhere?

Your pink cloth and blanket are gorgeous though!!

Birdsong said...

This is such a thought-provoking topic... I have struggled with quite a few projects in February, wondering why I am lingering over one while another was completed so easily. Sometimes the gift knitting is absolutely the easiest, even when the skill sets needed aren't. I am ready to throw a few things out and replace them with others, but will go back and ponder the reasons more closely now.