Friday, May 28, 2010

Moving On


The message we give our bodies -- one of irritation or acceptance -- is the message to which our bodies will answer."
-- Deb Shapiro, Your Body Speaks Your Mind

I wanted to see how long it actually took to make one of these squares for the Quilt (Square counterpane With Leaves) blanket. There are 49 rounds plus the bind off to a square, and that really isn’t a lot. I finished a square during eight hours of TV...not consecutively.

There are a lot of things I really love about this pattern. One, I get to start it on dpn’s and then move to circs. I love using dpns…I don’t know why…but I do. Two, since there are four needles or four repeats; however you wish to look at it, there are four of them. I can spot check my numbers and see how everything is going on the first needle and then just "read" the knitting through the other three. This is my favorite part of the knitting process; when it becomes zen. There is no checking back and forth in the pattern because I have internalized it. And three, I love fitting it into the already knitted parts of the blanket and three-needle binding-off and “poof” it is done.

My goal here is to change the way I look at things. When I started this project I had in my head that it would be a long-term project. I think that translates to…I think I can work on this for a little bit and then put it away and not feel bad about it.

But really if I only knit on it a little each night I can finish a square a week without changing the way I do anything. BTW I can knit up a square motif during lunch during the day for my shawl. A little time each day is being devoted to my current projects and they are progressing nicely. My MAK scarf of the week is already done and passed on to the next person.

I’m feeling pretty good about my focal projects right now.


So I had to do this. There are all kinds of knotty ideas are going through my head right now. The greatest thing about this project is that we already had all the materials in the house. My blocking board served wonderfully as a knotting board. I was really happy how this turned out. This knot took no time at all.

See I must have wanted to do this before because I already had this book when I ordered it a second time. I must have thought about it and then beat myself up about how I couldn’t do it and then never even tried.

Well, I’m not that person anymore. I got my book this weekend and had a knot done before hubby could find the second cord from the garage. I can’t wait to tackle the harder ones.

So, if you want the extra book let me know. If I have a bunch of people who want it I will hold a raffle or something.



Oh, this came off the blocking board. It’s been there for a while and I totally forgot about it. What I need is one room where everything can live together so stuff like this doesn’t happen. But that is a dream that will have to remain on hold for a while.

Anywaaaaay, isn’t she pretty? I really enjoyed this knit and have enough yarn leftover to make a second one if I so choose.

As I end this month, I feel that I'm in a better place. I am certain that all this self-work that I have done has borne fruit and that I am stronger for it. I can clearly see that all the little changes I have made since the beginning of the year are forming a cohesive whole within my being. I know I still have a long way to go…but at least I feel like I’ve really committed to the journey this time.

Have a super weekend!
*hugs*
:)

5 comments:

Nana Sadie said...

OH, well.. of course you can put my name in the hat for that - it makes me think of the macrame I did for years and loved so.
And CELTIC KNOTS?
;)
I must tell you I think your working thru the WIPS is amazing!
(((((hugs)))))

Geraldine said...

Count me in too R! I've done that myself, I've got soooo many books, when I was still in over-buying mode (a few years ago) I did order a couple of books, more than once. Your work looks lovely btw. I love the squares you are working on, that's going to be a beautiful project when complete.

I'm glad you are having a good day,G

rueyeet said...

That's exactly what I love about making my pot scrubbers...once you get 'em started off right, the rest is just keep on goin'.

I really love that scarf on the blocking board...that's a very lovely and lacy pattern!

You really are sticking to your projects and getting them done. Go you!

<3

Heather said...

Of course..we would LOVE the book! :)

Although I enjoy reading your posts, I'm feeling a bit guilty about all my WIP's. LOL. Time to get knitting.

Birdsong said...

Ha, ha... have done the same thing myself - put a book away and then later ordered another copy! Your finished lace is bee-u-ti-ful!