Monday, July 02, 2007

WIP (Why I Procrastinate)

“Don't water your weeds.”
-- Harvey Mackay


Although I believe a weed is a plant who is a victim of prejudice, I also see the folly of giving all your nourishment to life’s weeds and not watering the metaphorical plants that have sprouted from my Ostra seeds.

It is hard not to look at one’s to-do list without shuddering over all the things still left undone. Yet it is the moving forward in goals and such that allow us to grow as a person.

Finding the balance between making time for the things that need to be done and not fainting from my own expectations seems to plague me lately. I feel tired before I begin and yet I keep trying to get it all done.

But what else can one do? I guess after looking at my life I’ve realized that I tend to “water my weeds” way too much. When I originally posted the goals that I wanted to meet it was so I could be accountable but I’ve realized that it only drives me slowly insane not meeting them all.

It is not due to laziness that I don’t meet my goals it is due to the very nature of life itself. Suddenly a baby blankets needs to be completed for a new member of the family or a terrible tragedy brings about the need for charity items. A turn of events at the LYS makes way for having to get in projects before a deadline that previously did not exist on my list of goals.

I find my self pulled suddenly in so many directions and my list suffers. So what can I do? I feel without goals my life will be void of direction and I will find my projects languishing somewhere between a WIP and an FO for so much longer than necessary.

Is choosing one goal a way to cop out of my responsibilities? Because to me, it seems the safe option. Pick a WIP to work on for the month and let it be the filler project that I work on instead of starting something new when one of my “other” projects are completed. And it will remain my goal until it is complete.

So this is where I ask your help Dear Readers to decide what WIP I should focus on. Please and thank you. :)



I will leave this poll up until Sunday and whatever WIP has the most votes will not leave my side for the duration of the month.

I hope you all have a safe and Happy 4th of July.

Ruinwen
:)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

FIrst off--Give yourself a break--I suffer from the same thing..From the moment I wake in the morning till I go to sleep at night-I feel like I have so much to do and never get enough done...It's crazy and I am struggling with getting it under control...There always is a lot to do and it never all gets done....I am making a list for the week and crossing off what does get done and what doesn't get done I am going to move to the next week. I am going to keep the lists so I see how much I actually do get accomplished...

Breath and try to be in the moment...that too will help

It was so nice of you to make the offer--I am going give you my e-mail in a coded way because of spam...ednahart1and now you put @earthlink.net.....Talk to you soon and THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH....EDNA

Nana Sadie said...

Ruinwen. Hon. I'm NOT gonna vote.

Gently pick the one YOU want to work on. Then work on it. If you tire of it. Choose another. Your WIPs are owning you instead of the other way around and that's NOT good.
Just let yourself choose the direction you want at the moment - a knitting goal should be a bit more general I'm thinking, like "I want to knit more."
:)
(((Hugs)))

Bianca said...

Don't water the weeds...LOL! Didn't do so still they are growing as it was raining here...and these were not just a few drops. I agree with Edna though... breathe from time to time. We just have two hands and can't do two things at once...
Still I wish you a good weekend knitting :-) (((hugs)))

Birdsong said...

I too agree with Edna... it is easy to berate ourselves and let more of life slip by. I have the same tendency, but also can see that I get a lot of those things on the list done, eventually. Be kind to yourself first, so that you have the core inner strength to face what comes with a smile.

Anonymous said...

Well, you already knew my vote (Ms. Ewe, she's been merely a swatch of loops for too, too long) but now it's officially in the poll. *ding*

Heh, one of the differences between you and me is that when I look at everything I've yet to do and feel tired, I crawl into bed. :O I always admire that you just keep on keepin' at it, through fog, fire, and high water. :)

Be careful though...some of those weeds might turn out to be fragrant herbs or wild berries!