Thursday, August 10, 2006

The Courage to Try



"You have to decide what your highest priorities are and have the courage -- pleasantly, smilingly, non-apologetically -- to say 'no' to other things. And the way you do that is by having a bigger 'yes' burning inside."
-- Stephen Covey

When I began knitting seriously and looked at lace my inner critic told me, “There is no way you can do this.”

I didn’t start with something simple either: I began my lace journey with charting. In the beginning, I couldn’t read a chart to save my life. It just didn’t click. I called on the Yahoo knitting gurus to help me and I still didn’t get it.

But I never gave up. I kept failing and somehow I had this extra stitch that wouldn’t disappear (even when I K2tog) but I never lost hope that one day I would make lace.

So I tucked away my project and went on to other things.

After a year went by I was making lace with line by line instructions and wanted to learn to chart. So I sat down with a chart and meditated on it like a Mandela and suddenly it all made sense. I wondered why I’d even made it so hard for myself.

When I designed my first class project I wanted it to be lace and I wanted it to be charted. The scarf was a success and people found it easy to use the charts I created.

This month I realized that ball of yarn in the corner of my bedroom shelf was that same project I had put away so long ago. The cycle had come full circle and this is the WIP I have been working on this week. I love the simplicity of the design and I really enjoy this pattern. It is a World Lit Only By Fire in Lavish Lace.

The moral: After I finish this scarf which I am raffling for Women’s Heart Awareness at the fair, I’m going to take out my tank again and meditate with it. I know that this time it will make sense and this time I have the courage to create it.

Happy Crafting,

Ruinwen
:)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooh. You have to remind me when Fair is.

I've noticed, throughout our lives, that there is almost NOTHING you can't accomplish if you've truly set your mind to it, and have the space to try. It's one of the things I've always admired about you! *love*

Nana Sadie said...

LOVELY! And having helped to "birth" this creative process, I'm so proud of you!
(Womenheart will be delighted to accept the proceeds of your raffle, I'm sure!)
:)
(((Hugs)))

Carol & Christine said...

What a great story to share. Sometimes allowing yourself to "fail" only helps in the creation of encourgaging your inner voices to take over and help lead you to discover what your capable of.

I look forward to seeing this project finished... and am looking forward to the lesson you share with us next.