Wednesday, August 07, 2019

Pardon the Dust on Memory Lane


So, DH and I did it!  We revamped the blog and now I have the ocean in the background and a new color scheme.  I really love it.  The colors in the water are amazing and if you listen, you can almost hear the waves breaking on the sand.

But everything is far from complete.  I need to go through all the entries and add tabs so that you dear readers, can choose what you decide to read.

This revamp has forced me to journey back in time to a place where Mom and Dad were still here and some of those memories are heart-wrenching.  For instance, a blog post about a buttery yellow yarn included memories of Mom’s cooking with butter.  

We were discussing at the beach how recipes never seem to come out like they are in our heads if they were cooked by our loved ones.  I think it is the love and happiness of cooking for others that are missing.  That is why my mashed potatoes will never taste like Nana’s, and I am totally okay with that.

That is what this blog is, memories of a journey that I started in part because of Sallee and Kittin’ Chicks (my old LYS, now out of business).  I had been knitting since Mom had taught me how for a Camp Fire Girl bead but it was just knitting back then.

When I started going to Kittin’ Chicks I found a community and then Ravelry extended that community.  I got into blogging and met Sallee and she encouraged me to put my trials, tribulations, joys, and triumphs into words and I created this blog in 2004.

This blog has seen me at my best and my worst.  I never sugar-coated things.  I always tried to speak from my truth even if it was different then my readers.  For a while, I got away from knitting because my knitting creative muse was quiet.  I instead found creativity in a strange new exciting source and that was Minecraft.  Minecraft is something I really enjoy and I have created some really beautiful things that I am super proud of.

But this is why I need tabs to separate these areas of my life so you dear readers can only see the parts you wish to see.

I have since found my way back to knitting, it never really left me.  It just made me think too much about Mom.  I wanted to celebrate the gift she had shared with me, but instead, it only made me sad.

But now I see it as a homage to her and I want to honor her through my craft.  I have been on quite a journey since 2004 when all I knew how to do was knit.  Fast forward to today and I am a designer, a teacher and an advanced knitter who loves new challenges and is always excited to learn new things.

It makes me sad that we lost a few things in the move but I am eager to create new memories on this journey.

So for a bit, please pardon the dust as we update and lose a few things that were precious, dust off others and try to divide down the moments as best we can.  I am working at a snail’s pace since I want to read each entry and the comments as I enjoy a peek back on memory lane.

In knitting news I have two classes coming up next month at KDO and one secret project that I will share when I am allowed.  I’ve never had a secret project before.  This is an exciting new part of my journey and I am really blessed to be given this opportunity.  I also get to knit with new yarn which, is always a plus!

Happy Knitting!
Ruinwen


No comments: