Friday, November 09, 2007

The Hat That Woke Me Up

A person asked Buddha:
“Are you a God?”
Buddha’s reply was
“No.”
“Are you an Angel?”
“No.”
“Then what are you?”
“I am Awake.”
-- Unknown Source


I try to be an aware person. I listen to my body and try to give it what it needs to keep going. My soul craves the simplest of things: family, friends (including furry ones), Pokemon or gaming in general, knitting and coffee.

Right now I’m a little addled by things beyond my control so I dug up my hat. I started a hat a while back and never really got very far. I made one ear flap and saw that I would have to join it in and freaked out. Why? I don’t know. But into the bag for later it went, and I’m just digging it out a year later.

Last night I made the other flap and joined the whole thing in the round. It was on the needle, flaps and all in less time then it took for my son to dawdle about getting into a bath. There was no fear it was all so simple and fun to do. I’m working in Knit Picks Swish Superwash which is 100% Superwash merino wool in dark navy and deep ocean and I’m loving every stitch of it.

This hat is just the thing I needed to get me back on track while everything around me goes out of my control. I don’t even care that I’m going to have to go back and mend a hole at the join. It is all part of the process. And it shows that I’ve grown as a knitter…I hope as a person. I believe that the two are intertwined…like each stitch of this hat.

I think I’ll decorate it with some contrasting embroidered snowflakes for Bridget my Patron Goddess. Something simplistic…like a cup of miso soup on a cold day. A little bit of whimsy that lets my child-within out to play…with no rules in sight. A simple balm for my soul…

If I could beg a favor of you, please keep my family in your thoughts…they all are going through a rough time right now and this is really all I can do to help them. Thank you.

Have a lovely weekend,

Ruinwen, who hopes to have a finished hat by the end of the weekend...
:)

5 comments:

Bianca said...

I'll keep your family in my prayers :-) Glad to see you posting again :-)

Stitch-n-Snitch said...

Your family is in my thoughts! I've had hats on the brain, too. I hope you have a good week next week. :)

Willow Goldentree said...

Postive thoughts coming your way, dear friend.

Disentangled said...

I will keep you and your family in my thoughts. Hopefully this difficult time will pass soon.

Vicki Knitorious said...

Thinking of you and your family. I hope things are better soon!!