Thursday, September 14, 2006

I Need Your Help...Please?

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
-Scott Adams

I have been crafting this shawl for my Mother for a while now in a yarn that just isn't working for me. If you remember a while back when I was on vacation the maid careless threw said shawl thus dropping 26 rows. Well, crunch time is upon me. I'm teaching this shawl class at the end of the month...count 'em; 16 days...and I need this shawl done by next weekend to show in the LYS.

Now I know I've taken on more then I can chew and all that. That isn't in question. I know how much of an idiot I am when it comes to trying to do more than I possibly could ever hope to...the question is...

Is it wrong to start over in a yarn I love...the yarn I swatched when I designed the shawl? I bought this lovely shade of pink merino and I so wanted to see the shawl made into it. I love merino. I love working with merino. It would be a thicker yarn and thus, in theory, make up much faster than this thin laceweight stuff. So dear readers is it okay to admit a yarn just isn't right for my pattern and start over with the one I wanted?

Thanks for your imput.

Happy crafting,

Ruinwen
:)

5 comments:

Nana Sadie said...

Why not? I'm guessing that with yarn you love, 16 days isn't the issue at all. And you'll finish with time to spare. Frog and begin again!
(((hugs)))

Birdsong said...

OK, I'll preface this by saying that I don't really think of myself as a risk-taker but really am; I vote for tossing the one you don't like (or recycling it into something else) and starting immediately with the yarn you love. It will fly through your hands in comparison.

Indigo said...

Yep what they said. I have a pair of socks (just need to bind off) that I am about ready to frog and start over on with a different pattern. Hubby thinks I am nuts but I want to be proud of what I make I don't like them as is...

Anonymous said...

Life is too short to knit something you don't love.

Use what will make you the happiest.

Bianca said...

Go, work the shawl in Merino Ruinwen. I hate the fact that the yarn you are using now, is frustrating you to pieces. I would have switched as well. The yarn that you intended for the shawl can be re-used in another project in time I guess, so it is not a waste to make it in a yarn that works well for you. And you are right - Merino is a delicacy to work with.