Sunday, June 10, 2018

Growing Strong




I have been working on a prayer shawl for someone who just had some surgery and is having a rough time.  I also need to bring healing to our connection because of a misunderstanding which brought in a bit of a rift between us.  I am not making this shawl to gain any sort of ground in the personal matter because that would be wrong.  I just can’t stand to see anyone that I have been connected to in pain.

But with all knitting, this shawl has provided me with a feeling of new peace and I have enjoyed working on it.  I am about ½ done here.



I wanted to make something that echoed all the prayers and positive thinking and shaped them into a traveling vine that made its way across the shawl.  Each leaf helps the other and that strength builds to shape the vine into something truly wondrous.

I used three vines with leaves for the Trinity.  For me, that is the three faces of the Goddess: the Maiden, Mother, and Crone.  For you that might be Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.  Three is a holy number in most religions and everyone knows good things come in threes.



I like cables for stability.  They are like a winding staircase that holds everything together and lets the prayers climb higher along the shawl.



And finally, there is a slipped stitch because the motifs need some delineation between them in order to grow and not become lost in one another.

I used Knit Picks Mighty Stitch because I really like the vibrant colors and the softness of the yarn.  I chose the eggplant, mulberry, fairytale, wisteria and blush colors for the higher end of the spectrum which focuses on the third eye and crown chakra energy; also she likes purple.

The pattern is easy to follow and the repeats become easy to memorize.  The cables mix things up a bit so that it isn’t quite a mindless knit either.  

I've decided to call it my growing strong prayer shawl.

I hope to get this all worked up and tested and do a photoshoot before the end of summer.  But I need to focus on knitting it first.  lol

Happy Knitting,
Ruinwen

No comments: