Sunday, May 18, 2014

It Doesn't Add Up



Progress on the blanket was had this week.  I completed two whole layers since I was woefully behind my sis and needed to catch up.  This proved to me what I could accomplish if I just tried a little bit harder.  I was able to knit despite my migraine and other distractions, which was nice.  It felt good to accomplish something.

I have been trying to write a pattern and failing.  I swatched for about 2 good hours until I realized that my previous idea would not work with my current project idea.  Flat vs round, cowl vs shawl: I couldn't get anything to work.

One pattern was a repeat of 5 +2 which meant that my border which was a repeat of 11 allowed for the casting on of 77, 154 or 231 stitches.  This looked like it would work on paper but this pattern grows each round and I would lose that magic "divisible by 11" number.

For whatever reason, I can't just "create" something.  There has to be a reason, an inspiration, or some kind of aha moment.

I thought that I knew what that was.  I can see it so clearly in my head but I can't bring it forth.  The math won't add up.

I have let it be this week to work on the blanket squares.  But I need to come up with a new class for next month and I'm running out of time.

So yeah, that's where I'm at and it is frustrating but each pattern has its own process and I just have to wait for something to make sense or be revealed.

I'm not going to force it, because that just doesn't work.

I have folders of patterns that didn't work just waiting for something to make sense so I can create them. The way I see it they are just like little plants that haven't bloomed yet.  You know that whole Mulan thing: the flower that blooms in adversity is the most beautiful of all.  I don't see them as failures.  I don't see this as a failure...and isn't that just all mature of me and all?



But I still need to come up with a class and my head is killing me so I think for now I will just do some questing in ESO with my family and see changing my mental track helps me come up with something new.  Here is a picture of my Dark Elf Healer that I play with my family.  My DH made her armor and I just love it!

Happy crafting,
Ruinwen
:)


No comments: