Friday, January 07, 2011

Week one of the New Year



We have to decide for ourselves what’s nourishing to our souls, and do those things over others.
-- Thomas Moore


The Holidays came and went without so much stress this year. I have already written things to do in my calendar to make them even easier. Such as...taking pictures in the Summer for our holiday card and then getting them made early...and actually creating savings for the holidays.

I used to start making things for the Holidays in July and managed to get a lot done without stress or rushing...so I'm going to start that up again this year also.

I've worked a plan for my income and I'm really focusing on saving this year as well as paying down my card again. I had it almost paid off last year when we made two big purchases that ran it up. And since I used my Holiday money to help pay down my card then when December came around I was hurting and charged up the card again.

*sigh*

In knitting, I am focusing on finishing my Queen of Heart Shawl. This is the project I will bring to Friday night meet-up group until it is done. I've been working on it for a while now but the two commissions I got took priority. The above picture is one of the two cardigans I made. I really enjoyed this project. It taught me how to make a cardigan by following the top-down method. Now I really want to make one for me. :)

I am currently finishing up a Yule gift that is one of those pieces you cannot do anything else while you are knitting it..which is a rarity for me. I can knock out most lace and other complicated repeating patterns without a lot of trouble while talking or whatever...but this pattern is telling me to slow down and not try and always multitask. So I'm listening to the voice of serenity and following orders.

This year I want to cultivate more serenity...peace and happiness.

To that end, I'm trying to do little things to make the big things easier. Like...using the organic tub spray after bathing. I broke down the other day and scrubbed our tub from top to bottom. Then after each of us used the tub we used the spray and today when I looked our tub was beautiful. Something like that really puts a smile on my face...to know one chore is done for the day and it only took a few seconds to do it. *yay*

*My son just shared with me that he remembered to spray the tub without anyone telling him!*

I'm trying to find more of those "stitch in time saves nine" ideas to make all of our lives easier. Archimedes, our automatic vacuum cleaner saves us so much time. At his appointed time he starts cleaning and will not stop unless the area he is in is clean. He hates dirt and has a little button that lights up when he finds some. We all love him. The time he saves us is incredible...having a clean floor is priceless.

We've all been making changes here and there to improve our lives. We joined a whole foods farm and enjoy getting a morning delivery of organic healthy food. Everything there is so wonderful and delicious.

I've been looking at cell phones to find one with a lower radiation rating. Every week I make another little step to make my life safer and healthier for me and my family. I like this one. It has everything I could ever want in a phone so I'm pretty happy that it safer too. :)

So that is the week in a nutshell. They tell us that a winter wonderland is on the way...so where ever you are, be safe, warm and full of happiness.

*hugs*
Ruinwen
:)

3 comments:

Rue said...

I need an Archimedes...but first I'd have to clear enough space for him to work in!

Oooh, Android. I've heard good things about the Fascinate, can't remember where though.

Geraldine said...

Hi Ruinwen, Glad January is off to a good start, same for me here!

The cardigan is lovely, was this a gift? I know what you mean about NOT multi-tasking,its tough to forgo at times. I am also working on a pattern (a shrug) that every second row demands total attention. I almost messed it up beyond repair twice but happily didn't. I am looking forward to completing many, many projects this year. I look forward to seeing more of your FO's as time progresses.

Hugs my dear, G

www.veggiesyarnsandtails.wordpress.com

Nana Sadie said...

Lovely little sweater! And I agree with you...it's so much better when we plan and then follow through!
(Like I'm any good at that?)
But we can try, and the trying gets us a little farther down the road...
Happy New Year!
(((hugs)))