Thursday, April 10, 2008

Ever Connected

We are a strand in the web of life. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are connected.
-Chief Seattle-

You would laugh if you saw me today. Most people try and look their best on their birthdays but this is my day to work out at lunch and the health of my body is very important to me: hence the sweat attire.

On Tuesdays and Thursdays, I walk at lunch because it is the only time I really have to do so. I go at least a mile and whereas that may not be a lot, it is more than nothing and it makes me feel good. I like to feel good.

Today is also Family Fun Night which means from the time I walk in the house to the time I go to bed at 8:00 p.m.: no IPod, no TV, no video games (even handheld ones), no computer…I even try not to use the microwave or oven by picking up a healthy meal on the way home.

Even though today is my birthday and I’d like to pick a video game and have some fun I will not be selfish. The family time we have is priceless. We all enjoy the change in pace…although not checking e-mail is hard…harder for the DH. lol

I admit fully that I’m a hardcore gamer. I really love my video games. So for my B-Day celebration when the family gets together on Sunday I told them what I really wanted: to get food from Main Street and to Wii as a family…just to have fun with the people I love.

I’ve always wondered why kids get to have so much fun on their B-Days with celebrations and themes and stuff. I’m all about themes. I’m starting my own tradition. I’m 40 this year and I’m darn proud of where I am and I think one day of having fun like a 5 year old (without the tantrums…as long as I’ve had my coffee) sounds cathartic.

This week my tarot card was the 9 of Swords. The normal translation for this card is misery, sadness, terrible things…but the way I read it is different. I usually take the card and find out where it is on the Kabbalah tree of life before resigning myself to a reading.

This card is in the 9th sephiroth (or sphere) which is completion of a cycle and making way for a new cycle. Swords are air and representative of communication, creativity, learning and other air correspondences.

To me, this card is saying you are still working on a bunch of things that are in their end phases and you just need to get them done so new stuff can come in. But I have also been listening to the people that surround me and their communication has been cruel and petty this week. I have chosen not to get involved or offer to help when people are starting from a place of anger. I’ve just backed off and left politely and quickly shielded myself from the onslaught of negative energy.

This week I feel like I am in medias res. Caught in the middle of all my project where the beginning was a long time ago and the end is far from sight. But that is okay because at least I am somewhere right?

I’ve been teaching socks everywhere it seems…and it feels good. Socks are a little thing. But warm feet can make a person warm enough to turn down the heat a bit…thus helping the Earth a bit…because every little bit makes a difference…because we are all connected.

Bright blessings,

Ruinwen
:)

10 comments:

Disentangled said...

Well Happy Birthday! Sounds like a really great way to spend it, too :-)

Geraldine said...

Happy Happy Birthday Ruinwen and many,many more to come! I just had one too, April is a good month!!!

Sending a big hug your way and best wishes, G

PS: Your family fun night is a GREAT idea. I have one day a week now, NO computer. That's my step in the right direction.

Nana Sadie said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!
I hope you have a delightful day - starting with that walk (or before) and ending with a neat healthy wonderful dinner (you could add a little chocolate, ya know?) and then fun fun fun!

I'm hoping that the "middle" you find yourself in is the beginning of wonderful stuff! And yeah on the socks, they're just terrific - easy projects, warmth, all good stuff, that's so true.

40 is such a great time!
(((hugs)))

Birdsong said...

Happy, Happy Birthday Ruinwin! I am always so happy that I found you on the web, and hope you enjoy the 40th birthday of your dreams, even if a few days late. I admire you for sticking to your convictions, even on your birthday!

Willow Goldentree said...

Happy Birthday My Friend!!! I hope your day was as wonderful as you. It might sound corny, but I do mean it. :D

Kimberly said...

Happy Birthday! And I'm with you on the birthday thing.. why should the kids get all the fun! :)

Carol & Christine said...

Happy Belated Birthday! I hope you have had an amazing week and a fantastic birthday!

I wish you nothing but the best and biggest blessings that life could possibly provide for you this year!

You deserve only the best, my darling friend! Lots of love, hugs and purls!

Bianca said...

A bit late...sorry ;-)

Happy Belated Birthday!!!


(((hugs))) Bianca

Sue said...

I hope you had a very fun birthday this year!

Enjoy being 40!!

luv2felt said...

I missed it! We need some serious girl time to celebrate this milestone. Maybe Starbucks??? Hmmmm??

Love ya,
Laura