Friday, August 12, 2005

Slip Stitch Cats



Here is my first attempt at slip-stitch. I think it came out pretty good. I had promised this year I would learn some sort of stranding technique and I have! I am so excited!

I really like slip stitch technique is also called mosaic knitting which was coined by Barbara Walker in 1976.

In slip stitch, one carries only one color across a row so the piece is not as bulky as some Fair Isle but it does have a sort of texture to it where the slipped stitches are used.

My next attempt is a slip stitch hat with these cats which are from Slip-Stitch Knitting - Color Pattern The Easy Way - By Roxana Bartlett.

Happy Knitting everyone!

Ruinwen
:)

6 comments:

Sue said...

Your cats look great, Ruinwen! I've looked at the mosaic knitting but haven't tried it yet. Might be the next technique I learn.

me myself and i said...

very cute!!

Nana Sadie said...

I love those cats - you're doing a terrific job! I've promised myself that I won't try those techniques as lace takes up most of my knitting time, but I think this mosaic knitting is fascinating!
((((hugs))))

Anonymous said...

Wow! Great job Ruinwen! I've never dared to try any stranded knitting.
Keep us posted on the hat!
Hugs,
Kitt - who is hurrying off to check the links in your post!

Anonymous said...

My goodness, but that's cool! Am I right in thinking that you can basically do anything that can be translated to a grid, like needlework?

Kary said...

Great job, Ruinwen! Those cats are adorable!