Sunday, April 03, 2005

Yarn Diet

I have decided to follow my friend Sallee and participate in a yarn diet. You see I was blessed by two Grandma's giving me their stashes and that alone fills up 12 copy paper boxes. I also have other various sorters and a dresser filled with left over yarn from projects.

Earlier this year I gave away two copy paper boxes full to charity...but I didn't really make a dent in the stash.

So, I Ruinwen hereby solomly swear to not buy any more yarn until I have used up EVERYTHING in my 12 copy paper boxes!

I have figured a way to do this you see. I will learn Fair Isle which has been on my list of things to do and this way I can strand the colors in projects. I will also use the thinner yarns together in projects that call for two strands...but I will use up the old stash before I buy any more new yarn.

I have even put a Yarn Diet button on my blog to remind me of my promise. Speaking of buttons, I now have some thanks to my DH and my sister drew our Vixenpath logo and I turned it into a button all by my self!

May you all be my witnesses to my pledge!

Ruinwen
:)

5 comments:

me myself and i said...

Good luck! I am on a yarn diet and a regular food diet and already it is harder not to buy yarn!!! Since it keeps me from thinking about food!!! LOL!!

Sue said...

You have to use up all 12 boxes?! You're a better person than I am. I would be happy if I just finished some of the UFOs I have hanging around here. Good luck!

Plain Jane said...

All 12 boxes before you buy more yarn??? Oh, my - you're a far better person than I - I have my 3 bins & 4 boxes (168 skeins, 646 ounces) inventoried so I can see what I have and get an idea of what I can use it for, but I know that the next great yarn sale will find me bringing home a skein or two more to fill in the "gaps".. {g}

Birdsong said...

Wow, what a brave soul! Being a compulsive thrift store shopper, I doubt I will ever be able to avoid "picking up a little yarn". Your idea about using the yarn up with fair isle is just perfect... I used to piece together color combos to make socks out of my thrift store scores. Can't wait to see your results.

KniTaPaLooZa said...

Wow... better you then I... I could not do it... I have given up buy yarn for a month after a friend did it. Only to fall off the wagen with a bag full of new yarn for another project class I am going to be taking in the future... let us know how the diet goes... but don't beat yourself up if it does happen. We are here for you