Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Broken Needle and Understanding Lace

Alas, my plastic needles that are older then I am broke today. The little blanket that I carry with me to knit in the car or in a line and now I have to mix needle types and hope there are no problems. *sigh*

I have begun making lace. I have frogged, tinked and otherwise started over three times but last night I think I got it!

I always have trouble with YO. Some patterns they tell you what stitch needs to contain the YO and others expect you to magically fathom what they are thinking. But after three tries I think I understand that the YO comes before the K2tog.

So when I have more than 6 rows I will post some of my lace. When I have a good enough grasp of it I will make a shawl out of actual lace weight yarn! My sister gave me some beautiful angora hand-spun yarn for my birthday and it begs to be something beautiful. Also in my stash (which is down to 201 skeins), I found six skeins of beautiful lace weight yarn that I want to make the Falling Leaves Shawl from Lavish Lace,

So, I'm slowly being enveloped by lace. It is consuming me. I love the look and once I understand the pattern, it seems to flow. I think making the clapotis helped me in that department because I learned so much that helped expand my knowledge of stitches.

A whole new world has been opened up to me and I bravely walk through the gateway.

Ruinwen
:)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So sorry about your needle. That is so sad when it happens..but I'm sure you will manage. And good luck with your lace...I'm just now kind of getting the hang of lacework and am starting to enjoy it a little (don't tell anyone I said that though!)

Anonymous said...

You shouldn't be so hard on your needles! Of course, you have so many that it shouldn't be a problem.

Love,

Dad.