Wednesday, April 29, 2020

I'm a Basket Case

"Empathy without boundaries is self-destruction." 
Silvy Khoucasian

I guess a better way to say this is, "Don't set yourself on fire to keep others warm." - Penny Reid

I don't know what to think anymore.  There is so much going on that makes me loco right now.

There are so many sides to this story that we are living and I have empathy for people who just want to feed their families or are literally going insane being inside.  I feel for those who live alone and have no one to share their day with.  Thank goodness for video chat and chat in general where you can literally reach out to someone at any time.  

People have gotten super creative in so many ways instead of saying this situation is "unfair" or "lashing out", they have chosen to find new ways to connect and throw themselves into projects.

Then there are those who are falling apart who find themselves with anxiety or panic and it is a totally new and frightening experience for them.  I feel for them as well since this is something I have lived with for as long as I can remember and in many ways, this lockdown is testing my anxiety until I am about to snap.

But then I take a breath and count my blessings.  I have many.  I am truly blessed.

In the next breath, I find myself praying for those who are lost and have lost.  I am saddened for the families that have to say goodbye by video.  I am mourning all the families torn apart by this virus and not just here but across the globe.

I can not fathom those who believe this is a hoax.  I cried when I saw the caskets in Italy.  I sobbed when I saw the hospitals in New York.  People all over the world are sick.  People all over the world have lost loved ones because of this virus and the numbers climb every day.  To call it a hoax is like spitting in the face of those who are grieving over a loss of a loved one or to all those who are on the "front lines" working tirelessly to save lives.

I just can't understand the disconnect.  

There are those who insist people die every day and while that is true, that mentality does not help anything.  It is true that people die from the flu and it is also very contagious.  But we have built up immunities to the flu globally, there is a vaccine for the flu and the patterns of the flu are known after years of study.

This virus is new.  No one knows exactly what it does.  Every day we learn something new about it.  It is super contagious and right now, there is no vaccine.  

There are new symptoms such as loss of smell and taste which have been added as we learn new things about this virus.  For a list of all symptoms go to the CDC website. 

What bothers me most is those deaths...were people.  They aren't just numbers.  They were people.  They had hopes and dreams and families and they were just like you and me.

When I hear about people not wanting to wear masks because it is against their constitutional right it makes me angry.  I feel the same about drunk driving.  When you get in the car drunk you could end up killing someone.  It is a known thing there really is no debating it.

If you don't wear a mask and you don't know that you have been exposed to Covid because you aren't showing symptoms you could be infecting everyone you meet.  If you were wearing a mask and the people you meet with were wearing masks then there is at least a barrier between you and others.  Mask wearing isn't perfect, but it does help.

I was listening to an interview with a tracer, someone who follows the path of an infected individual to try and stop the spread of disease, and nothing makes them happier than the person adhering to the Stay At Home order.  The path of exposure is easier to follow and contain when the individual has only been one or two essential places in the last 14 days.

IMHO - Nobody should be forced to risk exposure to Covid because someone else won't follow the rules as set out by your state.  I am grateful to the state requiring safety measures in the essential businesses that are open.  I worry about my son's friend who works at Safeway and was comforted a bit to see he had a mask and gloves last time we shopped.

I worry about my friends who are high risk and my sister who is as well and each time that they create another procedure that makes us a little safer I am all for it.

I worry about these states that are opening up to soon.  The Mayors are protesting and are worried that the virus will just spread like wildfire.  What happens when Goddess forbid, those people get the virus and can not work or take it home to their family and get everyone infected?  Every action that we do affects more than just us.

I know I may be a little crazy about it but I have done everything I can do to keep my family safe.   

I worry that people really believe that everything "poof" will just go back to normal.  This is a long-term battle that is going to be fought on many fronts.  We all have to do our part.  Until we have a vaccine, this may as well be our normal.  Maybe they will open the states up but you will still have to social distance.  Retail stores might only be able to have a curbside pickup in some areas.  States will not let everyone go back to work at the same time.  You will not be able to be in groups.  You probably will have to wear masks.  

Masks have become such a big issue when other countries wear them either during times when they are worried about their health or if they don't want to share germs.  But in the U.S.  there is is the stigma about them.  I would rather people wore masks when they were sick in public.  Personally, I stay home when I am sick unless I have to go somewhere essential.  I don't have family or friends over because I don't want to get them sick.

But this mentality seems so new to some people.  I see it as a common courtesy.  I have family members and friends that even if they get a cold it could set them back months of recovery.  And even with my healthy friends, I let them know that I am sick because let's face it no one wants to be sick.

And this is why I feel out of sorts this week.

Being kind and caring about the welfare of others is something everyone should do and not just during a pandemic IMHO.

πŸ€— (socially distanced hugs)


************************

Sending love and light to everyone being affected by this virus.  

May you be safe.  

May your loved ones be safe.  

πŸ™

************************


Woven Basket Stitch is also known as Diagonal Basketweave Stitch and it is really interesting.  All the stitches are knit or purled out of order in such a way that it creates this beautiful woven fabric.

Loosely cast on an even number of stitches on a size or two bigger needles than called for by the ball band.

Note:  it is very easy to split stitches when doing some of these maneuvers

So, I made some very janky videos...I really tried guys but I'm afraid these are horrible quality.  I hope they at least convey the idea of making the stitches.  

I'll work on my video set up for next time.  Promise.




Row 1 WS:  slip 1 stitch purlwise with your yarn in the front, *purl the 2nd stitch on the left-hand needle and leave it on the left-hand needle, purl the 1st stitch on the left-hand needle, slide both stitches off the left-hand needle: rep from * to last stitch, slip 1 stitch purlwise with the yarn in the front





Row 2 RS:  *skip the 1 stitch and insert the right-hand needle from the back to the front in between the 1st and 2nd stitches on the left-hand needle and knit into the 2nd stitch, leave the stitch on the left-hand needle,  then knit the 1st stitch on the left-hand needle as per normal, slide both stitches off the left-hand needle; rep from * to end. 

Next week we will talk about making an airy mesh.


Thanks for reading!


If you have any questions regarding this or any of my other tutorials, please feel free to leave a question in the comments.

Happy crafting!
Ruinwen


πŸ˜€

No comments: