Sunday, April 14, 2013

Are You Ready To Burp?

So a few weeks ago I tackled the subject of barking and now I'm on to burping.   So in all of knitting is there anything that makes you laugh more then brioche?  I mean all this barking and burping can really get hilarious!

brp or burp stitch is made by purling the stitch that was made on the previous row together with it's YO.  When you look at your needle you will have a stitch by itself (that is the stitch that you slip) and the two stitches clustered together.  Those two will be the ones that you purl together or burp.

You will also need how to make a sl1yof, brp1:

This stitch is a little trickier than our bark stitch.  Let me break it down.  With the yarn in front, you will slip the first stitch.  Then you will YO.  To do this when a purl is your next stitch, you bring the working yarn from the front to the back over the needle, and then to the front under the needle...or you circle it clockwise.  This creates a YO and allows the yarn to be in position for the purl stitch.  You finish the stitch by purling the next two stitches together.

Another thing worth noting is on the 2nd (Row 2 WS CC) and 3rd (Row 1 RS MC) rows are comprised of a bark1, yf, sl1yo.  The 2nd row will end with a YO and you will have to hold it in place as you turn your work so it doesn't escape.  

After you turn your work to start the 3rd row make sure that you capture that YO with your working yarn.

The 3rd row will end with a YO as well.  This time you will not be securing it until the last stitch of the 4th (Row 2 RS CC) row so make sure it is present before making the burp which will anchor it.


The only colors left in the Gradient this time were black and orange so excuse my Halloween theme in the middle of spring.  And pardon my actual lack of black.  The ball started in white from the center through all the layers showing were grey and black.  Go figure.  :)

So this will be continuing from our one-color brioche.  Make sure you are knitting on a circular or dpn or it will be impossible to work the stitch.  I attached my new color over my old color with a slip knot just to keep everything in place.  I can take it out later.

In two-color brioche, you will first knit with the main color than the contrasting color on the same side.  This is the reason for the circular or dpn; you will slide your work back like an old typewriter and make two passes on each side.  Maybe it is more simply written:

Wrong side
        Burp with color A, do not turn your work, slide your work back to the right-hand needle
        Bark with color B, turn work
Right side
        Bark with color A, do not turn your work, slide your work back to the right-hand needle
        Burp with color B, turn work


Note:  I realize that I'm starting from one color brioche so the columns show the shift in stitches.  This is for a technique class where knitting one piece is desirable   Also, I kind of like the shift, but if you don't you can start fresh and follow these instructions:

Begin with casting on an even number of stitches in your MC; then work the setup row before following the four-row pattern.

Set up Row CC:                     wyif *sl1yo P1* rep ** to end

If you are continuing from the one-color brioche then you should start here.

The actual pattern looks like this:

Row 1 WS MC  BURP  PURL:              wyif *sl1yof, brp1* rep** to end

do not turn your work, side your work back to the right-hand needle

Row 1 WS CC   BARK  KNIT:             *brk1, yfsl1yo* rep ** to end

turn your work

Row 2 RS MC   BURP   KNIT:              *brk1, yfsl1yo* rep ** to end

do not turn your work, slide your work back to the right hand needle

Row 2 RS CC    BARK  PURL:               wyif  *sl1yof, brp1* rep ** to end

turn your work

Repeat these 4 rows until you have the length you desire.

The pure genius of this stitch is just spellbinding to me.  I also love the color possibilities that you can make with this pattern.  You can play with warm and cool colors in your favorite hues and you can create an original scarf just for you.

Oh, edited to add after ripping out the my original swatch...brioche should be done on a needle size one or two sizes down from the recommended ball band or you will be loosey-goosey like my sample and the colors will show through.

May your days be full of color,
Ruinwen
:)




2 comments:

Geraldine said...

Sounds tricky, looks so pretty though. Funny name for a stitch.

Your knitting talents continue to evolve. Thanks for sharing your projects, love seeing your latest work!

Happy Week, G

Geraldine said...

PS: Re:Cream of Mushroom soup, do you have my cookbook? The recipe in it for this soup doesn't have to contain any dairy and it's very good. Let me know. If you don't have my cookbook, I'd be happy to send you the recipe as a doc. or a cookbook if you'd like one, as a gift.

Still working on the page number conundrums!!! Now I'm trying to work my way through my novel too. Just about solved I think. There are a LOT of people with the same issues online so I know it's not just me LOL.

By all means delete this comment after you've read it. I just clicked through from my blog, to reply, 'cause I'm in a hurry.:<)

Hugs, G