Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Happiness Is...


... we can no longer afford to throw away even one ‘unimportant’ day by not noticing the wonder of it all. We have to be willing to discover and then appreciate the authentic moments of happiness available to all of us every day.
-- Sarah Ban Breathnach

What makes a day unimportant? Every day that we take a breath upon this beautiful Earth and spend another moment with our family and friends is precious. Each night before bed I am thankful for at least three specific moments during that day…I can never stop at three.

There are so many things that can so easily be taken for granted. During this economic crisis maybe we can see how blessed we are much clearer than before. I can see how chaos is everywhere and many of my friends are overburdened with hardships that are slowly breaking them.

I’ve always believed you do what you can and the rest takes care of itself for good or bad. One person can only handle so much…but with a few good friends, you can do almost anything.

A kind word can bolster your soul. A helping hand can save you time. A loving gesture can uplift your entire day. A good friend is a treasure beyond worth or measure.

My life is filled with chaos but my friends balance it out and in the end, I think that makes all the difference. This weekend my BF and our families celebrated my birthday way early because there won’t be time for it later. We had a Twilight / Vampire / Fondue night that was out of this world. Have you ever tried chocolate fondue on bread? OMG, that was delish!

The simplest things are so precious and I will hold this celebration in my heart for a long time. Sometimes that is all you need to get through the “other” stuff. One happy memory can last forever if you cherish it.

Right now it is all about the memories. We are cleaning the house in order to put it on the market. We have a date now: in July the house I grew up in will no longer be mine. My tree Fred that I planted in 1976 will belong to another. But I have the memory of making sure that fragile little sapling was kept wet all day. I wrapped him in damp paper towels and the water made all my homework run, but he survived. Now Fred towers above our soon-to-be-old-house and it makes me smile whenever I see him.

It is time to let go and I can do that with only a few tears because the thing that makes a house a home is the people in it and with Mom at AL…it feels strangely empty even now.

They believe something happened with Mom like a mini-stroke or something that wiped out her short term memory. But with the thought of Dad moving in actually on the horizon, she seems happier. I also think the sun being stronger has a lot to do with it also.

I would say that it is actually warm here but I’d be lying. But that didn’t stop my crocuses. They keep pushing though because in adversity life goes on.

I finished another feather and fan scarf this weekend. I liked the “rose garden” feel to this one. If I can’t plant yet I’m going to bring in as much color as I can.

I’ve gotten the pattern together for my circle scarf and since I can only work on it when there is peace in the house…I haven’t started yet. lol

I had a silly little happy dance moment this weekend. I got up and went to Wal*mart when it opened so I could get Pokemon Platinum and they had this collectors game for the same price. This is a birthday present from my Dad and I can’t open it yet but it made me happy just the same. :)

I had such a wonderful weekend full of family, friends and unexpected blessings I just can’t stop smiling. :)

I wish the same happiness for all of you.

Happy crafting,

Ruinwen
:)

8 comments:

Bianca said...

Happy birthday to you, my friend! I agree, moving to another house brings memories... some nice, some not so nice. But usually it will bring positivity :-)

Stitch-n-Snitch said...

Happy early birthday! I'm so glad I've gotten to know you through your blog, and I'm glad you're enjoying the magic of Twilight! :) ::hugs::

Nana Sadie said...

Very good! I'm pleased your Mom is happier! I know that helps enormously...And Happy Birthday - in advance!
The scarf is lovely, the crocuses! OH WOW!
((((Hugs))))

Chelle said...

Happy Birthday! and thank you for sharing your happiness with us. You are a very special person.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Friend!

Geraldine said...

What a lovely post Ruinwen and sending good wishes and many hugs back to you. You are an inspiration to me and I am so glad if I help you, in even a small way, to get through some of the dark hours.

Happy Birthday coming up to you (Ive got one too, in early April)

Hugs, G

Birdsong said...

Happy Birthday! I hope the package I mailed off helps to extend the festive feelings. I so agree about finding joy in every day, and in everyday things. The crocuses are wonderful and I hope warmth, daffodils and tulips follow shortly.

Geraldine said...

Just stopping in to say Hi and send a Hug. Hope all is well with you. Take care Ruinwen.