Friday, June 03, 2005

The Prayer Shawl

"The successful man is the average man, focused."
-- Source Unknown

I’m sorry that it has been so long since I have written. My life seemed so unfocused there for a while…but now I feel reborn. :)

It all started with a prayer shawl request. Simple enough…But I just can’t make a prayer shawl. It needs to be full of prayers and well wishes and this cannot be accomplished without shutting myself away to work on it.

I had been trying for days to find some time alone to work on it but I wasn’t being successful. Finally, realizing that the yarn tangling and other events involving tinking were trying to tell me something…I listened.

I locked myself away and put on the I-Pod and chanted and prayed and worked. My husband tells me that I was there for two hours, yet time stood still for me.

For the first time in a long time in a week, I felt centered and totally serene. As I stitched and fringed something was being rewritten on my soul. I was changing deep inside and it felt so right.

Finally, the shawl was done and I felt as if I have woven all the peace, goodness and prayers that I could into it. But as I stepped back I realized that my inner weavings had changed too. I felt no need to do anything but watch the waves on the river. I was truly at peace.

I still carry that peace, it courses through me and wells up and over flows out of me from time to time during the day and I just have to smile. :)

Ruinwen
:)

3 comments:

Nana Sadie said...

So glad you could close yourself away for what you needed to do! The prayer shawl is such a powerful piece, for the knitter as well as the recipient!
(((hugs)))

Birdsong said...

Good reminder of the value of alone time and prayer and meditation!

Anonymous said...

It's hard to find solitude when you're a mom and a wife...but I'm glad you managed! I too find that I am so much more creative when I take time for myself. (which I need to do if I'm to build that website...argh)

And the iPod doesn't hurt, either. Yay music!!