Monday, December 21, 2020

The Goose That Keeps On Giving


*This post takes place over a span of three weeks.*


I've been feeling blocked this week creatively.

I've been trying to push through it and keep up all the other tasks that I have been focused on.  

For example, I was able to wear pants I haven't worn in six years and they were loose which they never were before.  I have been rediscovering clothes that I love that have been just waiting for me in my closet.

I've been working on a part of my holiday shopping each day and I am almost done.  I am still waiting for our cards to arrive so I can work on them and I have some secret gifts I need to mail out.  

I have finished my part of cleaning up the basement in prep for a new floor.  Because of the surge in COVID cases around here, we do not know when we will be able to put it in but at least when we can, we will be able to.  I am going to help hubby clean up his room if he needs me but now he needs to go through all his stuff.

My mind wants to design a memorial in our Family Server for a friend and member that we lost.  😭  I feel like I have to do something but I need to be working on my design.

I have failed a number of times at getting this design to work and failure teaches me what not to do next time but I just keep failing.

I am trying a new idea today and we will see what happens with that.

The trick over the years that I have worked hard to emulate is that just because I have failed in this task, it doesn't make me a failure.
Failure is a bruise, not a tattoo.  - John Sinclair
I like that quote.  So, I will continue trying new things until I get that "aha" moment where everything clicks and a new design is born.

*****

In other news, remember the goose, the one with the beautiful Christmas hat?  Apparently, she is cold and needs a shawl to warm her up.

I was thinking a poncho might work nicely.

I have a poncho design that is really simple.

This was a Yule gift from 2006

So, I am going to make this for the goose.  The pattern is easy.

You measure around the neck and covert your stitches to inches then add an inch for wiggle room making sure it is an even amount.  

Measure your "wingspan".  For me this an actual wingspan for you it will be from the neck to the wrists going down the arms over the shoulder.  Take your row gauge and convert it to inches so you can estimate how many rows you will need.  

You can divide this number into sections or panels or whatever you want.  I did this in two colored bands separated by fancy ribbon but you can use any combination of colors or even a solid color.  I used stockinette because it is easy to do in the round and makes up quick but you could add panels of garter or lace or anything really.

Knit an inch or so in ribbing, I think mine was 10 rounds.  This was 2 x 2 but I have found that I like 1 x1 better for necklines.  Again, it is your preference.

After the ribbing I changed over to stockinette, dividing the stitch count in half and putting a marker at both half points where the shoulders are.

Then I knit two rounds until the end of the poncho changing up colors as I went.

Round 1:  (Knit to marker, YO, K1, YO) twice, knit to end of the round  
Note:  if you didn't want holes you could substitute the YOs for kfbs (Knit front and back) or lifted increases or anything you desire really.

Round 2:  Knit all stitches in the round

Bind off in picot or some other fashion.

See, simple.   This would make a quick gift for a child, friend, or goose in need of some cheer.

So let's go through the process together, shall we?

Here are the goose's measurements:

Neck: 8 inches
Wingspan: 9 1/2 inches
Gauge:  US 6 needle - 5.5 stitches per inch,    rows per inch

The yarn I will be using is Plymouth Select DK Merino Superwash in red with white trim by request of the GooseMother.

So I will be casting on 5.5 stitches per inch x 8-inch neck = 44  stitches which is an even number so the ribbing will work.  I will be adding two inches of wiggle room so my friend will be able to get this over her lovely Goose's head and bill.

Cast on 46 stitches in the round

Join taking care not to twist stitches.  If you do twist the stitches put the twist into the strand at the join.  This info and joining, in general, can be found at the bottom of this post.

Rounds 1 - 10:  knit 1x1 ribbing (K1, P1)

Round 11: Knit all stitches

Round 12:  (Knit to marker, YO, K1, YO) twice, knit to end of the round  

Round 13:  Knit all stitches

Repeat rounds 12 and 13 until garment reaches desired length

My desired length was just past the height of her breast so I stopped the poncho part of the pattern there.

Then I wanted to shape the garment around her body in a gooselike way so I slowly decreased around and added shaping.

Here are my very rough notes.

Abbreviations:
K - knit
K2tog - knit two stitches together
P - purl
pm - place marker
rm - remove marker
RS - right side
sm - slip marker
SSK - slip two stitches, one at a time, then take your left-hand needle through both the front loops of the slipped stitches and knit them
WS - wrong side

Switch to flat knitting:


Row 1 WS:  Bind off 5 stitches, K4 stitches, purl to last 10 stitches K10


Row 2 RS:  Bind off 5 stitches, knit to marker, sm, K25, K2tog, pm (this will be called the center marker from now on), K1, SSK, knit to end


Row 3 WS:  Bind off 2 stitches, K4 stitches, Purl to last 7 stitches, K7


Row 4 RS:  Bind off 2 stitches, knit to marker, sm, knit to 2 stitches before the center marker, K2tog, sm,  K1, SSK knit to marker, sm, knit to end


Rows 5 & 6: Repeat Rows 3 & 4  once more


Row 7 WS:  Bind off 2 stitches, K4 stitches, Purl to last 7 stitches, K7


Row 8 RS:  Bind off 2 stitches, knit to marker, sm, K5, SSK, Knit to 2 stitches before the center marker, K2tog, sm, K1, SSK knit to 7 stitches before marker, K2tog, knit to marker, sm, knit to end


Rows 9 through 22: Repeat Rows 7 & 8 7 times


Row 23 WS:  Bind off 2 stitches, K2. rm, K2 stitches, Purl to last 7 stitches, K2.rm, K5


Row 24 RS: Bind off 2 stitches, knit to 2 stitches before center marker, K2tog, sm, K1, SSK, knit to end


Row 25 WS:  Bind off 2 stitches, K4, purl to last 7 stitches, K7


Row 26 RS: Bind off 2 stitches, knit to 2 stitches before center marker, K2tog, sm, K1, SSK, knit to end


Repeat Rows 25 & 26 until 12 stitches are left


WS bind off: Bind off 2, knit to end


RS bind off:   Bind off 2 knit to end


WS:  Knit all stitches


RS:  SSK, SSK, K2tog, K2tog


WS: Knit all stitches


RS:  SSK,  K2tog


BO 2 stitches


Weave in ends and crochet around all edge stitches.  Then I added a picot and a little bow to the front neck area.


I think she came out really cute.


My friend wants me to make her one 😅


*****

After writing the pattern up for this post I had that "aha" moment that made everything clear to me with my design issue.

I was able to mock up a prototype and test the pattern and I am happy to say that I love it!

Now the project is knitted, sent, and e-mailed.  Yay!

Thank you, Universe for giving me a moment to stretch my creative juices so that I could find the answer that I was looking for!

You can't use up creativity.  The more you use, the more you have.  
- Maya Angelou
Happy creating!
🤗

***************************

Whatever path of light you follow, may your season be safe and full of joy.  Bright Blessings!

****************************

Safe socially-distanced hugs  🤗


****************************
Sending love and light to everyone being affected by this virus.  

May you be safe.  

May your loved ones be safe.  

🙏

***************************

Sending love and light to everyone facing discrimination, hate, prejudice, inequality, or racism.
🙏🙏💖💖🙏🙏


No comments: