Wednesday, November 18, 2020

Nothing is Ever Forgotten

 


In September of last year I started to clean up my yarn room.  I had only had my yarn room for a few years when we had a flood that destroyed the floor in my room, and the hallways.  My hubby also had a lot of damage to his computer room.

Then the kitchen was transferred downstairs while the repairs were going on and somewhere in all of that we never put the house back together.

When I finally got it clean enough to walk in the door, I found out a mouse or three had set up shop in my knitting.  I had to throw so many things away that were chewed on or worse.



As you can see, these boxes are full of yarn.  Most of what is in the guest room right now is all yarn.  I have gone through all the yarn I own painstakingly..lovingly even.

I had laid out a very detailed trackback plan in this post.  I probably should not have used dates to achieve each of the goals on my list.  Some of the weeks took months but I kept at it.

I am pretty much where I wanted to be at week 7 of my trackback plan and I am not going to get on myself about how long it took.  During that time I was also cleaning up hubby's room as well and dealing with the challenges of a global pandemic.  

One of the things I learned in this project was to not be so hard on myself.  I made a promise to myself to bring up one thing or throw one thing away every day in this post and I have done that.



The floor is not pretty but it is mostly clean of clutter.  Now we just need to move all of hubby's room somewhere so we can get the floors done again.

I am so happy.  There is an end in sight.  😊

Not only have I rediscovered scads of yarn that I had forgotten that I had, and projects that I thought were lost but we will be able to move the yarn that is upstairs downstairs.

My kind and understanding family has put up with my projects everywhere and never said a word about it.  I can't wait to have everything except the things that I am working on in one place again.

I can't wait to have my yarn organized by weight again.

But mostly, it will be wonderful to heal our house.  I feel that she has been just waiting to be clean and whole again and not forgotten.

Nothing is ever really forgotten.

Maybe just misplaced...for a time.

****************************************

In knitting, it is easy to misplace or omit a stitch when doing a pattern.  Unless you are counting all your stitches on each row you probably won't find that misplaced or omitted stitch until after you finish your resting row.





This chart is read from right to left for the odd (RS) rows and left to right for the even (WS) rows.

Abbreviations

K - Knit

P - Purl

SK2P - Slip the first stitch purlwise, knit the next two stitches together, and pass the slipped stitch over the stitch made by the K2tog

YO - yarn over

Chart Example Written Directions

Row 1 (RS): P1, YO, K3, SK2P, K3, YO, P1  (11 sts)

Row 2 and all WS rows: Purl to end  (11 sts)

Row 3: P1, K1, YO, K2, SK2P, K2, YO, K1, P1  (11 sts)

Row 5: P1, K2, YO, K1, SK2P, K1, YO, K2, P1  (11 sts)

Row 7: P1, K3, YO, SK2P, YO, K3, P1  (11 sts)

As you can see, this pattern maintains 11 stitches throughout.

In my sample below of this chart.  I have put the repeat between markers to make it easy to identify.

I made my mistake on Row 1.  If you count the stitches you will notice that there are only 10.  A stitch has been forgotten.



A skill that I have found invaluable in my knitting is to be able to read my stitches.  It has helped me time and time again in both knitting and tinking.

This sample starts with a purl stitch, then three knits, an SK2P, three more knits, a yarn over, and then the last purl stitch.

If we check the pattern there is a yarn over missing.

Don't panic!  There is no reason to rip out this row.  

Method #1:

There are a few ways that you can tackle this problem.  You could just use a locking stitch marker to indicate where the yarn over should be and then move the stitches carefully and put in a yarn over.

Use your right-hand needle tip from the back to the front to pick up the bar that is between the stitches.  Place this stitch on the needle with the right leg in the front.  Make sure it is not twisted.  (Though, if it is twisted, just purl through the back loop on the other side and it will turn back into a yarn over...move on that a bit later.

This method works fine but sometimes the yarn over is smaller than the others.  Some of my students have worried about losing a stitch while moving them about.  Just do it slow and slip them tip-to-tip to avoid dropping a stitch.

A Bit About Yarn Overs

Yarn overs can be added, dropped, or moved.  If they are twisted they can be untwisted.  If they are twisted they can become stitches when worked.  This method is known as the bar increase or a make 1 (M1).  They are really versatile little creatures.

When you pick up the bar to make a yarn over make sure that your right leg is in front of the needle.  This ensures that you will be making a yarn over on the following row.  If the front leg is on the left, this means the stitch is twisted.

If this is your intention, then it will make a new stitch on the following row.  If it is not your intention you can purl it through the back loop, thus untwisting it.

This method also works for other twisted stitches.  If you are tinking back and some of your stitches are twisted you can either knit or purl them through the back loop to untwist them.

Finally, if you made your yarn over in the wrong place, you can drop it and move to the section where it should be and add it there.  Gently move the slack along so it evenly dispersed to the new stitch.

Method #2:  

Or you could use a locking stitch marker to indicate where the yarn over should be and then work your purl row up to that point and add the yarn over in on the purl side.

This is the method I use all the time.  You can fix almost anything on the purl row between the working rows.  If you forgot to pass that last part of the SK2P stitch you can do it before you purl it.  If you twisted a stitch then you can purl it through the back loop to fix it.  And finally, if you forgot to yarn over it is really easy to add it in.

All of this info can be found in this new video.

I'm trying some close-up knitting.   Please let me know what you think.

Until next time, Happy Crafting!

****************************

If you have any questions regarding this or any of my other tutorials, please feel free to leave a question in the comments.

**********************

Safe socially-distanced hugs  🤗


****************************
Sending love and light to everyone being affected by this virus.  

May you be safe.  

May your loved ones be safe.  

🙏

***************************

Sending love and light to everyone facing discrimination, hate, prejudice, inequality, or racism.
🙏🙏💖💖🙏🙏







No comments: