Friday, September 24, 2021

Fixing A Little Oopsie

This week I got to go back in time a bit to a moment when a friend gave me knitting to fix.  It was in a huge heart blanket that I designed for her, and she had forgotten a YO in one of the hearts at their base.

This was in December of 2010 and I was pretty good at fixing things but this was something I had never attempted.  I was able to do it though and that changed everything for me.

Fast forward to last week and my friend is making that heart blanket again with a new and improved design and she forgot a YO.

This time, I knew what to do and I was able to do it quickly and she said you couldn't even tell where it was fixed!  Yay experience!  

YO is missing from Row 3

This little sample is missing a YO just like the blanket was.  It is easy enough to rip this back but in a blanket of over 250 stitches you don't want to necessarily do that if you don't have to.

This sample is 6 rows.  If you would like to practice this technique then here is my sample info.

CO 11 stitches

Row 1:  K4, YO, SSK, K5
Row 2:  K2, P7, K2
Row 3:  K3, K2tog, YO, K1, (this is where your YO should be, but we are skipping it), SSK, K3
Row 4:  K2, P6, K2
Row 5:  K2, K2tog, YO, K3, YO, SSK, K1
Row 6:  K1, P7, K2

If I had been counting then I would have seen that this section was only 10 stitches instead of 11.  Also, the fact that there were not enough stitches on the edge for my 2 stitch garter border would have been a clue that something was wrong as well.

But say, that this happened while I was binge-watching something that I probably should not have tried to knit during since my eyes were on the screen, or maybe the doorbell rang and when I came back I missed that YO.  Hey, it happens all the time and it is fine.  😀

So let's fix this.  

Tools I use:
  • crochet hook
  • locking stitch markers
  • double-pointed needles
Normally you would have a bunch of other stitches on the needle and you would slide the stitches to where you need to be and then move that section to double-pointed needles.  But with a sample, you just put a locking stitch marker through the first two stitches and the last stitch on the needle to keep the working yarn from unraveling as you are ripping back.

Now you will slowly take out row by row until you get to Row 3.  Gently remove the working strands from each of the stitches as they present themselves.  You will have to turn the SSK stitches around since they will have left facing front legs and you want right facing front legs.

using a system to keep track of your strands can save a lot of hassle

You will also have to manage your strands.  You can do this with any method you like, colored stitch markers or little pieces of yarn.  If this was on a huge needle, I just lay them in order on the right-hand needle, but we can't do that here.

The last picture shows the strands all ripped back and identified to the row that we are fixing.  My thumb is where the YO should be created.

using the strand for that row, I have reknit the row

Here we can see that I have reknit Row 3, from right to left with the strand for that row and now that row is fixed.  Using a strand to knit with can get challenging towards the end so you might need a crochet hook to work the last stitch.

For Row 4 knit all stitches right to left with that row's strand.

Work pattern Row 5 with that row's strand.

Finally, work Row 6 knitting all stitches right to left with that row's strand.

the pattern is fixed

Ta da!  The pattern is fixed the YO is where it should be and the stitch count is back to 11.

Things to consider when fixing an area of lace like this:
  • Be patient
  • Use as many tools as you need
  • Keep your strands organized
  • The final result might need a little zhushing or adjusting to make it uniform
You got this! 🤗❤️

If you would like me to make a video of this process, please drop me a comment below.

all my spices have a place now

In other news, I organized my spice cabinet and everything is now super easy to find.  Yay me!

If you have any questions or comments about this or any of my other tutorials please leave a comment and I will be happy to get back to you.

Do you have a favorite spice?  Mine is smokey paprika.

Happy crafting!

Ruinwen
😀

**************************

Safe socially-distanced hugs  🤗

**************************

Sending love and light to everyone being affected by this virus.  

May you be safe.  

May your loved ones be safe.  

🙏

**************************

Sending love and light to everyone facing discrimination, hate, prejudice, inequality, or racism.

🙏🙏💖💖🙏🙏

**************************

Vixenpath is a safe space.


If you are:


LGBTQ+

Black

Brown

Asian

Any race

Coming out

Anything.


I am a safe person and I will always hold space for you in love and light.




No comments: