Thursday, December 02, 2021

There Are No Words

When I looked into the eyes of Adella Colvin (@lolabeanyarnco on Instagram) I felt moved beyond words.  The hurt that radiated in her words and her story had me in tears and sick to my stomach.

I invite you to hear Adella speak on Instagram to learn more.  


Adella said to take a risk.  I don’t remember the quote exactly but it was something like even if you are scared or uncomfortable take the risk.  Start the conversation.  


This is me starting a conversation. 


BIPOC creators in the yarn industry are being taken for granted by Kristy Glass and used for their particular gifts.


I don’t know her.  I don’t even know of her.  I had never heard her name until today.


I don’t want to tell you what to do but I personally have blocked her and other individuals that are causing harm in our community and I will continue to do so.


I need to say right now that I hate that someone with a bunch of followers thinks that they are better than someone else because of a number.


No one is better than anyone else.  You might have more money, but that doesn’t make you better than anyone else.  You might have more “fill in the blank” but that does not make you better than anyone else.


Let me say it again, “No one is better than anyone else.”


But that is what happened.  Someone used their “numbers” to make it seem like being seen with them would be an honor or something.  She even made them pay to be seen with her.  How disgusting is that?


If a collab doesn’t benefit both parties then there is something wrong.  Using someone for their “BIPOCness” to make you seem “better” than you are or “woke” or something is wrong down to its core.  It is disgusting and it has to stop.


It will only stop when we stand up and call out people that are harming our BIPOC creators.  Support our BIPOC creators.


If a BIPOC person tells you something, believe them, support them and listen to them.


I stand with the BIPOC community and I stand with Adella.

2 comments:

Secret Hippie said...

Well said! A real collaboration should benefit everyone involved.

Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

Yes! I totally agree.