Wednesday, March 10, 2021

The Universe, Knitting and a Girl Trying to Repair A Blanket


This morning the Universe is having a giggle with me.

As promised I promptly got out my tools at 7:30 am on Friday and prepared to repair my friend's blanket.

This is the text I sent my friend at 8:35 am the same morning...

Progress update:

I thought I would knit across in seed stitch to the stitches that needed fixing to save some time.

But...

First, the needle came undone from the cable and all the stitches dropped off the cable.  

I train for things like this so I got another needle and picked them all up temporarily in a calm-like manner.  

I am thinking to myself, "where are all my size sevens?"  The only needles that I have are straights and by golly, this blanket is going to fit on it come hell or high water.

When I started knitting many years ago I never knew about cable needles, that knowledge came later.  In the beginning, if I was making a blanket I would cram it on a straight needle and use stoppers to keep it from falling off when I wasn't working on it.

Good times.

I got to relive those glory days as I proceeded to fit the blanket on my straights.  I was so happy to rescue all those stitches that it didn't matter what they were on.

Second, there were seven stitches that needed to be dropped seven rows down, so I did that seven times.  

I think that it might either be the beginning of a spell or a mathematical equation.

Third, the top three rows have little gaps.

I know she has fought the little gaps the entire time so I have to rip back three rows.  This isn't too bad since I tink as fast as I knit.

8:47 am: my friend calls about some advice on the second of these blankets that she is casting on.  I end up trying to show a cast on in PJs and bass-akwards and am actually successful.  Yay!  😀

I also managed to not drop any additional stitches as I watch the stitches try to evacuate the needle during my conversation and minor tutorial.

9:00 am: I am back on track with the tinking and start actually knitting and purling the seed stitch border.

9:30 am: I have lost the ability to distinguish a knit from a purl

9:45 am: I make a silent prayer to all the knitting Goddesses that guide my journey to please let there be enough yarn to finish the bind off.

9:50 am: Thank you Universe!  I had enough yarn to bind off...and there was much rejoicing!

10:00 am:  After giving the blanket a quick once over to check on ends and such I put it on the knit setting in our washer.  I love the fact when picking out a washer my DH made sure it had a knit setting so I could wash my knitting without worrying about it felting.  Such a sweetie!

11:12 am:  Washer is done, time to wet-block.

11:45 am: Been working as fast as I can to get all the wires in before the cats wake up.  

blocking

11:46 am:  Cats are awake.  Managed to get it all blocked anyway as I guarded the blanket like a momma bear to keep it safe.

Will leave it to dry and check back in a bit.

Took longer to dry than I thought.  Left it to dry overnight and it was still damp in the morning.

8 am Saturday - wove in ends and then texted my friend that her blanket was still a bit damp but it was clean and finished as requested.

12 pm - blanket was picked up and my job was done.

Whew!  😀

**************

Continuing on our dropped stitch journey,  I just wanted to share another way to create a uniquely beautiful fabric.

dropped stitches break up the solid stockinette fabric
adding a bit of whimsy to the scarf

Do you like to color outside of the lines every once and a while?  Here is a pattern for a simple thin little scarf that uses dropped stitches in a controlled and fun manner.  You could easily make it wider or add more drops to suit your creativity.

It has that distressed look that lets a little light dance into your fabric.  Plus you get to drop some stitches, which can be a lot of fun!  Don't worry they are held in place by the yarn overs and will not drop any further than you want them to.  😀

Scarf In Distress

CO 31 stitches

All the first stitches on a row are to be slipped with the yarn in front (WYIF) purlwise.  This makes a nice edge IMHO and helps with the side curl of the stockinette which I tried to minimize with a garter stitch border.  

Abbreviations:

drop - drop the next stitch, pick up the top bar with your right-hand needle from back to front and place it on the left-hand needle with the left leg of the stitch positioned in front on the right.  Then you will knit that stitch through the back loop.  
K - knit
K2tog - knit the next two stitches together
P - purl
sl - slip 
WYIF - with yarn in front
YO - yarn over

Rows 1 - 4:  sl 1 WYIF, knit across row

Row 5:  sl 1 WYIF, K7, K2tog, YO, K11, YO, K2tog, K8

Rows 6, 8, 10, 12, 14:  sl 1 WYIF, K2, purl across row to last three stitches, K3

Rows 7, 9, 11, 13:  sl 1 WYIF, knit across row

Row 15:  sl 1 WYIF, K2, YO, K2tog, K4, drop 1, K5, YO, K2tog, K4, drop, K4, k2tog, YO, K3

Rows 16, 18, 20, 22, 24:  sl 1 WYIF, K2, purl across row to last three stitches, K3

Rows 17, 19, 21, 23:  sl 1 WYIF, knit across row

Row 25:  sl 1, K2, drop, K4, K2tog, YO, K5, drop, K5, YO, K2tog, K4, drop, K3

Repeat rows 6-25 for the length desired

Finishing Rows


Rows 1 - 4:  sl 1 WYIF, knit across row


Bind off loosely.


Open up all drops.


Block gently.


Weave in and secure ends.


**************

I wanted to add another pattern here but it just wasn't working so I'm going to distance myself from it for a while and catch up on taxes, chores, and laundry.


Bright blessings and happy crafting!


**************

If you have any questions or comments on this or any of my other tutorials, please leave me a comment.

****************************

Safe socially-distanced hugs  🤗


****************************
Sending love and light to everyone being affected by this virus.  

May you be safe.  

May your loved ones be safe.  

🙏

***************************

Sending love and light to everyone facing discrimination, hate, prejudice, inequality, or racism.
🙏🙏💖💖🙏🙏


No comments: