Friday, April 30, 2021

Hugs

During this time of quarantine, the thing I have missed the most is hugs.  I am from an Italian family that always hugs.  It is part of who I am.  I sign my posts with hugs and my e-mails with hugs.  Hugs are really important to me.

So, it only seemed right that I design a little hug from me to you.

This one is made out of sock yarn.  You could even use scraps of leftovers if you want to for one of your colors.  You can use variegated yarn or solid colors.

I used three colorways for mine.  

There are three stages of this shawlette:

The first panel is to induce a state of Zen.  While some may find repetitive tasks boring, knitters usually find them relaxing.  A simple repeat over and over lets you chill and watch a movie, some videos or, listen to a podcast.  You don't worry about messing up because you've got this memorized and even if there are rows and rows of repetitions it feels good to have this kind of knitting once and a while.

The lace panel, which we will explore next week is a stitch that looks like people or angles holding hands to me.  I love lace and wanted something friendly.  This pattern has a few really cool elements to it that are not so common in knitting.  I think it will be a lot of fun.

The last section of this 3-part series will be to make an edging that is fun.  I haven't figured out what this is yet.  I keep hearing to trust in my process, so I am.  I have a  bunch of ideas and a lot of swatching to do.  lol

I give you Hugs Part I ๐Ÿค—

Yarn

Panel 1 is about 300 - 400 yards of sock weight on size 5 needles

Panel 1


CO 144 stitches in any manner you like with color A, I used the cable cast on to give it some stretch.  I just made a little video here last week on this technique if you are unfamiliar with it.

***This shawlette can be made bigger if you choose.  CO any multiple of 24 + 12***

For 66 rows: K3, YO, knit to the last three stitches, YO, K3

(This is Ruinwen from the future - do not cut your tail - we will be continuing these rows a bit in the next Panel.)

When this section is complete you will have 33 garter ridges and added 132 stitches.  You will now have a total of 276 stitches on your needles.

That's it, relaxing garter for rows upon rows.  I love to have a project like this on days when I want to knit but I don't want to count stitches or repeats.

Garter stitch is the first stitch that we learn and it is always comforting to go back to.  It is akin to our favorite comfort food and always brings a sense of calmness. 

My hope is that this stitch will allow you to relax a little. As the skein unwinds let go of a little bit of stress or worry.  Take a deep breath and release it as you release all that tension in your neck and shoulders.  Let each stitch lull you into a sense of peace and serenity. 

Bright Blessings!
๐Ÿ™☯๐‘♰✡☆㊪๐Ÿ’–
****************
My friend was making the mesh scarf and didn't like the way the edge worked so I rewrote it to add another stitch to the opposite edge.  Even the simplest patterns always have something to teach me.  

Here is the link.

Cast on an odd amount (changes are in blue)

Row 1: K2,*YO, K2tog* repeat * * to last stitch, K1
Row 2: K2, purl to the last stitch, K2
๐Ÿงถ 

************************

In two weeks we will work on Panel II of our Hug.  I wanted to give everyone enough time to knit the section before proceeding.

Thanks for reading!

If you have any questions regarding this or any of my other tutorials, please feel free to leave a question in the comments.

Happy crafting!
Ruinwen
๐Ÿ˜€

**************************

Safe socially-distanced hugs  ๐Ÿค—

**************************

Sending love and light to everyone being affected by this virus.  

May you be safe.  

May your loved ones be safe.  

๐Ÿ™

**************************

Sending love and light to everyone facing discrimination, hate, prejudice, inequality, or racism.

๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ’–๐Ÿ’–๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™

**************************

Vixenpath is a safe space.


If you are:


LGBTQ+

Black

Brown

Asian

Any race

Coming out

Anything.


I am a safe person and I will always hold space for you in love and light.







No comments: