Friday, January 14, 2011

Moving On

It feels good to finish the last of my Yule projects. Yay! It feels like I can move onto this year's projects now. BTW I can't show you how much I love the way this project came out because it is for someone who reads this blog. So that will have to wait for next week.

I want to make something that is quick and easy and just a jog along the path before I start something new and I found this. If you don't have a Lion Brand account you won't be able to use the link without signing up. Don't worry it is free and they have a bunch of wonderful patterns on there.

Anyway, they have this wreath pattern with beautiful leaves and I've been saving up for the kit because the colors are perfect for Fall. But I found out the other day that they make blocks...felt them and then they cut the leaves out of the felt.

For some reason, this really upset me so I am on the lookout for the most wonderful leaves to make into a Fall wreath. I figured that was a nice project for in-between things or when I only have a 1/2 hour to knit but I don't want to work on something big.



Friday nights are dedicated to my Queen of Hearts shawl. I'm up to 8 of 15 hearts across and she is growing beautifully. It is made out of a discontinued Schaefer Yarn Esperanza in the Clara Barton colorway. I am so happy that I have another ball after this one!

Stop me if you've heard this before...but I'd like to get this shawl done so I can do a photoshoot on a day like today. The snow is so pretty and it was one of those really great days where it was bad enough for no school so the kids are happy...but the roads are good enough that I didn't need 4 wheel drive. But yeah, I really want to take a picture of the brilliant scarlet against the pure white snow...all Little Red Riding Hood-like.

I've been doing this free new game that allows me to schedule goals that grow a tree which is in fact; a representation of me. I've found that this is actually a wonderful tool for my self-growth. One of the things you can do is make "movies" of the things that inspire you with quotes and or pictures...they are very nice to play to inspire, motivate or recenter you. I also enjoy the journaling aspect.

Other then that...we've been making more meals with the crock that have been really yummy. We had an awesome turkey soup made from turkey stock and root veggies. Soup seems to be a great choice for these frigid days. Then this week we took a pork roast and first marinated it then slow cooked it with honey, hoisin sauce, soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic, ginger, ketchup and honey...DH put carrots in there too and they turned out delish. It ended up tasting like Chinese BBQ...and wow that was so easy!

DH has had his first gum surgery and the Dentist said everything went great. He is in a little bit of pain but the drugs help manage that. He sees it as a small price to pay if he can keep his teeth in later life. I agree. I made appointments for both my son and I at this new Dentist. I was very, very impressed with how nice they were and how much they care about their patient's well being. Hopefully, they can deal with my total irrational fear of dentists.

It makes no sense really. But the minute I think about anyone touching my teeth they start to ache. That is why I picked this dentist. They cater to cowards...and that is me in this case. I will probably have to have a Valium when they do the actual stuff I know they will have to do. Hopefully, I can make it through the exam and cleaning without acting like a total baby.

I mean...I had a C-section and that didn't strike fear in me like this does. I watched the vidscreen as they burned away the vein my leg both times and sure it pricked and was really hot...but that was okay. I had a needle in my thigh for the last bit of my pregnancy that shot a drug into my system every five minutes and that was tolerable. So why can't I buck up and just say that this is needed and go?

*sigh*

*breathe*

Have a great day!
Ruinwen
:)

6 comments:

Geraldine said...

Your shawl is just amazing! Ironically (maybe not) this Aries is also finishing a red leaf project, mine's a shrug in a cotton blend. It is really turning out great too. I wonder what that project you just finished is? Can't wait to see it.

I know exactly how you feel about dentists, I do too. I want to find one who uses hypnosis for pain relief, instead of drugs. I don't take any drugs now and would like to keep it that way. Hard to find though. There are also dentists using lasers for fillings, again not to be found up here in the frozen North.

Have a wonderful weekend R and keep us posted! Love those creative updates.

Hugs, G

Rue said...

That shawl is gorgeous -- and your other project was looking lovely, too!

Y'know, I wonder if the dentist thing stems from getting your wisdom teeth out. They were supposed to have put you under but I remember hearing you from the waiting room -- you still felt it. Maybe it's something to do with not being able to acknowledge/process that it DID hurt, drugs or no drugs, so it took root in you as fear instead?

I dunno. Babbling. This has been a crazy morning so I may be a bit loopy.

LOVE YOU

Birdsong said...

"cater to cowards"... such an appropriate way for dentists to meet their patients where most of us are! I am glad his surgery went well, and that all of you are getting good care. It's an important thing to pass along to your son. I love the bright red of your shawl! I hope you take that photo, even if the shawl has other viewings prior to the right circumstances:) Also, you could easily make up leaves, but I have a pattern link I will dig up this weekend and send to you. hugs, B

Stitch-n-Snitch said...

I've seen signs for "sedation dentistry" around here. I guess they knock you out for the whole procedure. Maybe you could look into that?

Marlene said...

Love the shawl. I'm a sucker for bright red. I find it so cheerful and uplifting.

I'm a dental coward too. Even just having my teeth cleaned is enough to make me so tense that I have to remind myself over and over to breathe and relax back into the chair.

Eddie Storms said...

That bright red shawl looked really gorgeous! I think my wife will be so amazed if she sees that because she loves color red. Well as for your dentist, I'm not that coward going to them but my wife has the ultimate fear of dental procedures in town. But thankfully here in our hometown in Buckhead dental office has great dental services especially for those people who fear dentists so much. Here in Buckhead, dentists are actually great and they made my wife fear no more of having her teeth cleaned or pulled out. She felt a lot more relived now than before.